The following statement explains the policies applied by Technorama Incorporated regarding the personal information we store about you. This policy complies with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) as defined in the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012, which amends the Privacy Act 1988.
At Technorama we value all our supporters and people who use our digital services, and take seriously the privacy of any personal information that we may collect from you, or that you may disclose to us, as part of your interaction with those services.
It is important that you take some time to understand the policy. We have to assume that if you use our services you agree with the principles associated with those services.
This policy defines:
- the purposes of collecting and holding personal information
- the types of personal information we collect and the ways we do it
- how you can enquire and access your personal information, request corrections or complain if you believe we may have breached the APPs
- if we disclose your personal information, in particular to overseas recipients.
We are committed to ensuring the privacy of your personal information. We may need to update this policy at any time and recommend that you review our policy periodically. If we make a change, we will publish the amended policy (including the date it became effective) on this website and we will notify users through our social media services. We have to assume that if you use any of Home Media digital services, you agree to this policy.
Why we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information because you:
- want to support us as a Member, Sponsor or Volunteer. We need your personal information to communicate with you and for legal reasons.
- made a donation. We need this information (e.g. your credit card details and your name and address) to process the payment transaction and to issue a receipt.
- participated in one of our events. We need the contact information to distribute any follow-on information from the event, and to send you further communication regarding Technorama such as newsletters in the future.
- provided feedback or made a complaint. We will use the personal information to ascertain if this feedback or complaint is common to other of our community of similar gender and age groups, and see how successfully we are providing services to our target audience. We may also need it to get back to you.
We may collect personal information also for purposes directly related to any of the above, including a better understanding of our audience. In turn, this knowledge allows us to tailor our content to better serve their interests and needs.
We also collect anonymous information, or with minimal personal details, from your interactions with our digital platforms (our website and our pages on social media). The analysis of this statistical information allows us to provide content that is more relevant to our audience.
What personal information we collect and how we do it
Basically the types of information we collect are:
- personal details
- anonymous activity-tracking data.
Personal details may include name, address, email address, age, phone number and gender. In addition, we collect financial information like credit card or bank account details that you provide when you become a member, or sign up for one of our events. These financial details are only used to process the donation transaction and are not stored in our system. However, if you sign up as a member we may need to store these details for the purpose of processing periodic membership charges.
In some specific cases (e.g. when you apply to become a Member or a Volunteer) we collect ‘sensitive’ information (such as the information requested on the application form) which is used strictly for the purpose it was collected. (Note: The privacy legislation considers sensitive information about people’s health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, etc.)
The ways we collect information include:
- verbally, either personally (e.g. you attend an event) or over the phone (e.g. you provide us with information while signing up for membership or other services)
- in writing (e.g. you send us a letter, a fax or an email with your details)
- electronically (e.g. you fill an online form on the website or anonymous information gathered with ‘cookies’— see below).
When you provide personal details verbally or in writing we transfer the relevant details to a database in our system. In doing this, we apply internal procedures that ensure we maintain the privacy of the information provided.
When we collect personal information electronically (e.g. when you fill out an online form) the transfer of information to our database is carried out automatically without human intervention. In general, the path from your computer to our system is securely encrypted. (Note: We use HTTPS, Secure Socket Layer and/or SSL encryption.)
We collect anonymous website activity using ‘cookies’ attached to the ‘browser’ you use to access our website. (Note: A browser is the program in your computer—e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer—used to access internet websites. A cookie is a small data file that is downloaded and stored in your machine or portable device that lets our digital service store information.)
Most browsers allow you to manage cookies based on your preferences. You may set your browser to prevent the installation of new cookies and you may delete existing ones. Please refer to the help area of your browser for instructions on how to do this. Please note that in some instances avoiding cookies may mean you will not be able to take full advantage of the website services.
How we protect your personal information
We only use your personal information for the specific purpose you provided it. In some cases we may use it also to send you periodical updates about Technorama Incorporated or the activities we provide.
Otherwise, we will not use or disclose your personal information without your consent, unless there is a duty to the public to disclose that information, we are required to by law, or where the interests of Technorama Incorporated require disclosure.
We store personal information in an online database system, which is protected from external unauthorised access by strong security technology. Internal access to the information is restricted to ‘need to know’ personnel.
At any stage, we may need to use third party providers (for normal operation and/or contingency storage) to host some or all of our systems. These providers may have technical facilities in countries other than Australia. We will endeavour to use providers whose privacy policies are compatible with ours.
How you can access your personal information
At any time you can request access to the personal information that we hold about you. You may simply want to check it, and if appropriate make corrections to it, or you may want to let us know of a change. For example, you may opt out of receiving one or all of our communication services at any time.
You can contact us at: [email protected]
How you can complain about a privacy issue
You may feel that we have breached your privacy in a particular instance. You can contact our Privacy Officer in relation to any privacy issues by email: [email protected]
If we exceed this period or if you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner at the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). The OAIC can be contacted on 1300 363 992 or at www.oaic.gov.au.
You can contact our Privacy Officer (see above). We will be happy to send a copy free of charge to your email, fax or postal address.